Monday, January 31, 2011

The nursery, in progress

Since we are moving before Evan is born, I can't start working on the nursery the way I have in the past. It's been a little frustrating for me to be limited in this way (I'm a planner!!!) but I'm coping.  -smile-

You may or may not have already heard my rant about little boy stuff...  I'm not a huge fan of anything with sports items on it, little fire trucks, puppies...  it all just seems so babyish to me, and something that he will grow out of quickly.

I figure since we will be painting his room, I'd like to plan on making it work until he is transitioned into a regular bed!

So, the solution I came up with was to purchase the full size quilt we will eventually use when he is in a regular bed, and use that as the inspiration colors for his nursery.  I know, I know... perhaps this is a little bit TOO much planning ahead, but I think it will save us a lot of work in the end.

So, this is the bedding we bought for Evan to use eventually:



We bought two of those little throw pillows, so I'll use one of those on the chair or something I'm sure...  But, as far as everything else for the nursery?  I'm planning to make it.  Whew.  Now perhaps you understand why I was fabric shopping on the last day of Jan. when he is due in June.  There's lots to do in four months! And, with two little ones under foot to keep me busy, I'm going to be squeezing in quilt making whenever I can!

My photo below ended up looking a little more red-ish than it really is (I'd say the stock photo above is more true to the colors) but you get the idea.  I'm going to use all the little squares around the edge to make his baby blanket...  it will be a little bigger than the ones I made for the girls so we can use it for the toddler bed as well.  Lots of solids and simple prints- it's hard to find fabric in boy colors that is not nursery-ish, or involving florals!


Here's a close up of the fabrics...  Excuse the frayed edges, I already washed/ironed everything so I can cut my squares...


So, that's it for now on the nursery selections.  Wish me luck as I start to compile all his stuff- fun!

3 comments:

  1. It all looks great. Good luck with the sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome. All of these fabrics are beautiful. And how nice to get some of these things made to ease your nesting/planning while you wait for a room to complete! I agree about all the baby stuff for boys. We ended up with monkeys brown/green/white because our kids are all crazy for monkeys, but I didn't buy many accents beyond sheets and covers because I just didn't like the "themes". However I like brown/green/tan that we have and I can imagine him growing into a chocolate covered quilt. :) Though since he is a boy, he will just call it brown.

    One thing is for sure, Evan's room is sure to be make with every ounce of love, just like his sisters' were!

    ReplyDelete